Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
2 tbsp unsalted butter
2 tbsp olive oil
4 cups chopped yellow onions (approx 3 large)
2 tbsp curry powder
5 lbs butternut squash (approx 2 large)
1.5 lbs sweet apples, McIntosh or similar (approx 4)
2 tsp kosher salt
½ tsp ground pepper
2 cups water (or sub with chicken stock)
2 cups apple cider
1. Heat butter, olive oil, onions and curry powder in a large stockpot uncovered over low heat for 15-20 min or until onions are tender. Stir occasionally, scraping the bottom of pot.
2. Peel squash, cut in half and remove seeds. Dice squash, medium size in uniform sizes and shapes. Peel, quarter and core apples- cut into chunks.
3. Add squash, apples, salt, pepper, 2 cups water or ckn stock to pot. Bring to bowl, reduce heat, cover and cook over low heat for 30-40 min. until squash and apples are soft.
4. Process soup in food mill or in puree coarsely in food processor. (or puree with stick blender on stove top)
5. Pour soup back into pot. Add apple cider and water to desired consistency. Consistency should be thick and flavor should be sweet. Adjust salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot, enjoy!